Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Enterprise IM

So, am I the only one who thinks that Microsoft has the right idea when it comes to IM strategy?

Most recently I was using Trillian because all the people in my group at work used AOL and I had friends on MS Messenger. Trillian was good, but it does use a bit more memory then running just a single IM client (although less then running 2 standard ones). Since all the people in my group used AOL it worked well for quick conversations. But of course you had to be careful what you were discussing over the Internet. Eventually work setup Exchange IM and put out a corporate 'standard' to use MSN Messenger for work-related conversations. The nice thing about the messenger client is that it can still connect to .NET servers and talk to people over the internet.

Since Trillian doesn't support Exchange MS Messenger, I use the standard client. Which is actually kind of nice because I only have the overhead of a single client. One where everyone's work contact is preloaded (no having to add 'Duber Dan W' or some other crazy nickname), and I can still talk to people over the Internet.

Slowly but surely the rest of the people in the group seem to be coming around to only running one client, and dropping AOL and talking their contacts in AOL into switching to MSN. In Corporate IM land, there is really only one choice, MS. Yahoo and AOL are backing away as fast as they can. Which they pretty much have to, if AOL is going to continue to spam stupid pop-up ads for movies to your AOL client. That means as more and more companies switch to Corporate IM products (which are really handy), they will be choosing MS Messenger. And as people start using that tool at work, I think they are going to be switching over to using that as their primary client.

Seems like a sensible strategy to me, and one where eventually you can make some money charging for the Corporate IM add-on to Exchange.

No comments: