Friday, July 16, 2004

Eck Humor

My family, particularly my Dad and I, have always had slightly strange sense of humor. And being over-competitive like all Ecks, there is a continual sort-of one-upping each other with jokes and crazy observations.

Luckily Linzy 'gets it', so sometimes when we get together with my parents, she has said her sides hurt afterwards from laughing so much.

Anyways, to give you a sample of this, below is a transcribed e-mail exchange between my dad and I regarding electronics recycling.

First, a necessary bit of background. When I was a kid, we had an Atari and Commodore 64 for playing games on. They were great, we had tons of fun games to play and you could even do some BASIC programming on the C64. Anyways, one time when I came home from college I was thinking of taking the Atari and Commodore back up to school with me, to play some old school games with college buddies (we had a ton of free time in those days). Since the Atari and Commodore were just collecting dust in the basement at this point it seemed like a good plan. Except when I got downstairs, the Atari and Commodore 64 systems were gone. Apparently in a fit of cleaning frenzy (this happens to my mom from time to time), my parents had decided the two consoles were no longer needed, and either threw them out, or donated them somewhere. I was very disappointed, and its been a running joke ever since, about how they sacked my childhood memories for a tax deduction.

After all that build up, this exchange will surely be a letdown, but here goes:

-------------------------------------------------------------
To: Warren Eck
From: Steve Eck
Subject: recycled electronics

Office Depot is apparently taking old electronics for recycling for free starting next week:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/13/news/fortune500/recycle_pc/index.htm

I don't know if you still have all those old computer parts, but you might be able to get rid of them.

Steve
-------------------------------------------------------------
To: Steve Eck
From: Warren Eck
Subject: Re: recycled electronics

Thanks for the info. I'll have to rummage around in the catacombs and see what I can find. I got rid of some junk at the recycle center in Eagan, but you have to pay to do that so if I can find some more and get rid of it for free that's an even better deal.
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: Steve Eck
To: Warren Eck
Subject: Re: recycled electronics

I heard they are really looking for old Commodore 64s, and maybe even Ataris. :)

Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: Warren Eck
To: Steve Eck
Subject: Re: recycled electronics

So are you saying this whole deal is really a front for someone to swipe valuable antiques from unsuspecting victims? I can't imagine anyone who would just trash a Commodore 64 or Atari, can you?
--------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. If you can imagine 4 hours of that sort of banter, you can imagine what dinner with the 'rents is like. :)

No comments: