Sunday, July 25, 2004

I made it

Well, I made it back from Duluth alive. It was a long week, we put in 10-12 hours a day working on Larry's house. For the most part, we were working on removing the old siding, old vapor-barrier, old insulation and putting in new insulation and plywood.

The old inuslation and vapor-barrier combined in non-nice ways to trap moisture in the plywood/siding. This eventually rotted the plywood (though suprisingly not the underlying studs, because the craft-faced insulation was actually working as designed to keep moisture out of the studs).

It was quite fun, let me tell you. I'm not sure what the old insulation was made of (my money was on asbestos, but Larry insisted otherwise) but it sucked, a lot. It was sticky, itchy, and really dusty. Since the old plywood rotted, it was a joy to remove as it crumbled and tore and generally made a mess. Better yet were the approximately 8,000 nails that stuck in the non-rotted studs after the plywood tore off. All of which had to be removed by hand so the new plywood could be put up.

And I haven't even mentioned the 400 pound cast iron tub that we had to tear down a whole wall to get out and into a dumpster.

I'll try to post some more stories from the week soon, as I get time. Until then, here are some pictures of the construction:

Back of the house with siding off.


Plywood under vapor barrier


Old craft-faced insulation that had to be removed. That's Larry tempting death by standing on a stepstool on top of 16 foot 2x12 planks, suspended across only partially secured 2-story scaffolding. (The scaffolding mess deserves a whole post of it's own)


Back of house after replacing insulation and plywood, all ready for Typar and new vinyl siding.

No comments: