Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Movie Reviews Hyper Alpha 2

We saw a couple movies this weekend:

Spiderman 2

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Spiderman, but I was pleasantly surprised with the 2nd. I thought they did a good job keeping the action interspersed with the requisite heart-sick mooning over an unsatisfied love.

I enjoyed J.K. Simmons and the over-the-top performance as J. Jonah Jameson (the boss at Daily Bugle). Oh and Bruce Campbell's cameo made me laugh.

I was almost setup for disaster with all the good reviews, but I persevered and kept my expectations suitably low.


Dodgeball

I enjoyed Dodgeball quite a bit. It wasn't a comedic masterpiece, but it did have quite a few laugh-out-loud moments and very few cringers. Rip Torn and his crazy 'training' was hilarious.


Through the magic of inscrutable cable pricing and the power of calling to complain, we have every pay channel available until the end of the year. For less money then we were paying before (don't ask, I can't explain it but I wasn't going to argue). So I've been watching quite a few movies on HBO/Cinemax/etc as well.

Bruce Almighty

I thought Bruce Almighty wasn't very good. I recalled seeing previews for it last year and thinking it looked like it could be good. But alas, it wasn't very good. Jim Carey completely overacted his part (now there's a shocker). And instead of feeling sorry for him when he lost Jennifer Aniston towards the end of the movie (it was a romantic comedy after all), I just felt sorry for her at having to put up with his stupid antics. I'm just glad I didn't go see it in the theaters.


The Transporter

I was pleasantly surprised by the Transporter. Dan had mentioned a while back that it was worth a rental, and it was certainly worth 'free'. The driving sequences were pretty cool, and Handsome Rob was suprisingly convincing in the martial arts sequences. One of the cooler things towards the end was a whole fight sequence in an oil slick. Regrettably I only saw parts of the ending because Behind the Music: GNR came on.


I've also seen parts of some other movies that were bad enough I didn't even finish them (that's the trouble with having 30 movie channels, it is way too easy to switch to some other in-progress movie). The partial movies were (in no particular order): Insomnia, The Tuxedo, Rollerball. In Insomnia's defense, it wasn't that bad, I just wasn't paying enough attention to keep up with what was going on. The Tuxedo and Rollerball have no such defense.

No comments: