Thursday, August 19, 2004

Books: The Dark Remains

I mentioned in the comments that I was nearly done with The Dark Remains, the third book in Mark Anthony's Last Rune series. I did manage to finish it during the trip to Chicago. The abnormally large gap between finishing The Dark Remains, and finishing Keep of Fire (the previous book) should give you a strong hint as to what I thought of it.

I've been thinking about how to describe what I thought of the book, and so far the best I can come up with is 'Mehh'. That would be the technical term for 'pretty darn average'.

The book was OK, but it really didn't grab me. For one thing, Anthony doesn't seem to be doing a good job of portraying any sort of danger to the characters. They basically just bumble their way through solving whatever the mystery of the book is.

At least in Keep of Fire a couple of characters died (albeit minor ones introduced for the sole purpose of providing body-count). Certainly nothing like a Storm of Swords, where a major character was chopped down every third chapter (seemingly).

In some ways Anthony has written himself into a corner with the characters and any sort of danger to them, as one has been revealed (in what was quite possibly the worst kept secret since Fizban) to be a god/former god. There isn't much you can do plot wise to that will present a legitimate threat when you are talking about a god.

Anyways, despite the relatively poor rating, I started in on Blood of Mystery, and also picked up books 5 and 6 tonight from Barnes and Noble. Thankfully book 6 is advertised as the 'thrilling conclusion' to the Last Rune series, so maybe I'll be able to move on to a new set of books eventually.

[ If you are so inclined, check out the editorial review of the Dark Remains on Amazon. Its a wordy version of my 'Mehh' rating. My favorite quote: 'Hopefully book 4 finds Anthony back on track.' ]

No comments: