Monday, August 09, 2004

Soul Calibur 2

So I've been a bad boy. Instead of slogging through Disc 2 of Xenogears, I've picked up a new game to play. Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube.

I'm not really much of a fighting games kind of guy. But I played a bit of Soul Calibur on Dreamcast and enjoyed it. So when SC2 hit $15.88 at Target a few weeks back, how could I pass it up?

The thing I like about Sould Calibur 2 is that it has a decent single player game. Linzy doesn't play any video games, and it's not like college anymore where friends stop buy for some multiplayer action. Thus I only have one controller for all my current generation systems, and a game has to have a good single player experience for me to play it.

Soul Calibur 2 has an excellent single-player mode, Weapon Master. That is very rare in a fighting game (at least compared to the state of fighting games when I last played them, Street Fighter 2/Mortal Kombat 2). Not only does the difficulty ramp nicely during Weapon Master, but there is a plethora of little rewards to pick up and a wide range of battles to have to deal with. Fighting against one character, lots of characters in a row, with your health decreasing constantly, only being able to see the enemies weapon, having to use specific moves, etc. It really adds to the interest level for me, and helps force you to move from button-mashing, to actually pulling off combos.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way down with Weapon Master, and have unlocked almost all the playable characters (with exeption of Berserker and Lizardman), and have unlocked most of the extra chapters.

If you have a chance to pick up Soul Calibur 2 for $15, you should. Although you might want to pick it up for some system other then GC, as the GameCube controller leaves a bit to be desired, and fighting Link (the special character exclusive to the GC version of SC2) is not as much fun as I thought it would be. The XBox version with the better graphics and controller, and a playable Spawn character sounds a bit cooler.

No comments: