Tuesday, September 07, 2004

AMD Radio Ads

I don't listen to commercial radio very much, at most during the ride to/from work, and most of the time I listen CDs or perhaps a little classical music/news on MPR. So please forgive me if this ad is old news.

I heard a new ad on the radio on the way home today, that struck me as quite funny. It was an ad for AMD processors, and it was supposedly an endorsement for AMD processors by a college student. However, before the ad started, they had a disclaimer that the ad's content had been 'sanitized' by the university.

So the kid would go 'Yeah, the AMD processor is so great. I am looking forward to getting back to school and downloading tons of ... from the Internet'. Where he was going to say 'movies/music/whatever', some other stilted voice would come on and go 'STUDY MATERIALS' (it deserves all caps because that was the way it was emphasized).

This continues for a while, with the kid extolling the virtues of the AMD processor for various non-school purposes, and the announcer saying instead school related things.

At one point the kid+announcer says 'With this new computer, I'll be able to hook up with the finest STUDY PARTNERS on all the cool Internet STUDY rooms'. Or something to that effect.

Now, I had nice computers in college, and oddly enough the fly honeys didn't flock to me because of it. But these days, who knows.

Anyways, the way it was put together was pretty funny. Regrettably, I can't find a link to the audio from the ad, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I checked on AMD's site, and on google (although admittedly I'm not quite sure what to search for, 'amd college advertisement' comes up with nada). You would think that AMD would want you to listen to their ads, and so would host them on their website.

1 comment:

Brenden Johnson said...

I guess I'll just have to trust you, but it does sound pretty good.
Sure enough the ladies didn't seem to be flocking to my dorm room to check out the computer system either.

Sounds like I need to go back to school!