Friday, September 17, 2004

Movies: 50 First Dates

It's been a while since I last wrote about a movie I had seen recently. I have seen a few movies lately, but they weren't memorable enough to warrant a post of their own. At least when I had other things to write about.

But, given the current drought of material, I thought I would write something up about the movie we watched tonight: 50 First Dates.

For those of you are not aware, 50 First Dates is a comedy starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. The premise is that Drew Barrymore had a horrific car accident, and subsequently lost her ability to transfer short-term memories into long-term memories. So she wakes up each day not remembering anything after the day of her accident.

So Adam Sandler ends up having to try to woo her everyday, and hilarity ensues.

Or not.

It was a lot like Groundhog day, except not nearly as funny.

I used to like Adam Sandler movies, Happy Gilmore in particular, and Billy Madison wasn't too bad in that 'stupid humor' sort of way. However, once we started to get into his later movies that leaned more towards 'Romantic Comedy' then 'Sophomoric Humor', I started to lose interest.

50 First Dates wasn't terrible, but it was pretty bad, with very few laughs that didn't seem forced.

Linzy on the other hand liked it. She likes all of Adam Sandler's movies, and though this one was good as well.

So there you have it, one thumb up, one thumb down.

No comments: