Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Music in the key of A-Z

So as I wrote about here, last week I decided to listen to all my mp3s at work in alphabetical order. I made pretty good progress in the first week, through all the un-identified music and all the way up to Audioslave - I am the highway.

I should note that it doesn't appear the music is really in what I would call alphabetical order. Instead, it is in the order that Windows Media Player 10 shows it in when you click on 'All Music'. That order appears to be loosely alphabetical by artist name, then by album, and tracks in the order they appear on the cd.

The inscrutable part is the album ordering as, for example, Blink 182's albums go: Dude Ranch, Take Off Your Pants & Jacket, and then Enema of the State. Which is obviously not alphabetical, and not the order the albums were released, so we'll just call it 'magic WMP 10 order' or alphabetical for short.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to roughly track my progress through the collection in the blog. So I'll try to post what song I started and ended on each day or two, and possibly the other artists I listened to in between.

Between the beginning of the week to the end of the day today, I moved from:

Audioslave - I am the highway
to
Blink 182 - What's My Age Again

In between I hit:
The Avalanches
(DJ) Bad Boy Bill
Bal-Sagoth
Benny Bennassi
Billy Joel (2 CDs of greatest hits)
The first two Blink 182 CDs I mentioned earlier
A few other assorted songs (mostly of the techno/trance variety).

No comments: