Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Principles? Who needs em?

My buddy Bill is willing to stick by his principles and refuse to give his hard-earned money to George Lucas for the Star Wars DVD set.

I, on the other hand am not willing to wait 4 months to be able to hear Han shout "You're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and head home" in wonderful 5.1 enhanced surround sound.

So, despite my continued whining about how dissapointed I was that the DVDs were going to be the Special Editions, and that I would be buying Yet Another Copy of movies I already own, there I was today picking up a shiny new copy of the trilogy on DVD.

In case you were curious, here was the pricing breakdown at the places I checked:
Best Buy - $42.99
Target - $45.99
Wal-Mart - $38.87 (but only full-screen copies in stock)
Sears - $44.99

Originally I was going to wait a day and pick up the trilogy at another Walmart near work, that supposedly had widescreen copies in stock. However, while we were at Sears picking up the new snowblower, Linzy talked them into price matching Walmart. No ad required or anything, and then they even price matched 110% of the difference.

So Sears ended up being $38.26.

Its too bad she didn't wait 30 more seconds to buy the video, because I actually got a $5 off coupon because I had to wait more then 5 minutes for them to bring out the snowblower, so that would have made it really cheap. Regardless $38.26 seemed like a pretty good deal for the three movies plus bonus disc.

We even found time tonight to watch A New Hope, and it was quite good. The picture and sound is much improved, and the special edition crap didn't annoy me near as much as it did originally in the theaters. (I've never seen them since that one time, as I refused to buy the VHS tapes of the Special Edition. I leave that sort of fanboy behavior to Brenden. ;)

Anyways, the DVD was all that I expected it to be, and more.

2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

So I'm a fanboy just because I have VHS box sets of the original trilogy *and* the Special Edition (and in the future, the SE DVD set)?

Hey, I've never dressed like a character while waiting in line for a movie or going to some convention.

mmm, $39, eh? I may have to take a trip to Wal-mart soon, even though I said I'd wait.

wleino said...

As Dee Snider sang in "We're Not Gonna Take It"..."your all worthless and weak". I will remove the worthless, for that is not true, but weak...yes. George Lucas has a grip on your wallet if not your souls. Not that I can blame you, I'm getting the itch...(must not scratch). I do however have at least $40 in quarters sitting in my beadroom right now. Could be trouble.