Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Video Games: Knights of the Old Republic

Its been a long while since I posted anything about the games I am playing lately.

After finishing as much of Soul Calibur 2 as I was going to easily be able to, I started playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. This game has been on my stack for a long time, and with the upcoming (at that time) Star Wars DVDs, I figured it would be a good time to try out the game.

For those who don't know, KOTOR (as it is abbreviated) is a role playing game set in the Star Wars universe. You play an up and coming jedi who has to save the universe (original, huh?).

Anyways the game is OK. Initially I was really digging it, and enjoying leveling up my guy and gaining new force powers. But after I finished the first couple planets things seemed to start dragging. Although I am still leveling up, the powers I gain are not really very interesting. They tend to just be improvements on powers I already have, instead of new powers. Also, I am playing as a light-side Jedi, so my powers are more of the 'heal people', or 'buff everyone's stats' variety. Rather then say 'shooting lightning bolts out of your fingertips' variety.

In retrospect I probably should have played a dark-side character, but that goes against my grain.

In some ways I think I fell prey to too-high expectations. KOTOR has raked in the awards over the couple years since it was released. On top of that, I was in a Star Wars sort of mood (looking forward to the DVDs and all), and Brenden really, really enjoyed the game. So as much as I tried not to think 'Best Game Evar' while starting it up, I couldn't help it.

So even though it is a good game, it just isn't grabbing me. I'm going to try to finish it (like I always do), but it may eventually go the way of Xenogears.

2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

Say it ain't so!

Oh well. Sorry to hype it so much, I did really enjoy it. I guess I'm just more of a pathetic fanboy or something. Alas.
Hopefully it will be fun enough to finish?

Steve Eck said...

Hey, no need to apologize. I wasn't blaming you for my overly-high expectations.

I had read so many reviews of the game saying how awesome it was, it was sort of inevitable that I would have high expectations.

I played it some more last night, and I am still liking it OK. I should be able to finish it, as long as I don't have to run through the deserts of Tatooine for hours and hours again. :)

Most of my frustrating with the game came when I got stuck, not having enough money to buy the *required* droid, to get into the Sand People's enclave on Tatooine. And I didn't really have any way to earn money after I had cleaned out the Pazaak player in town, and sold practically everything I owned. So I was reduced to wandering the desert looking for things to fight. And since there are no random encounters, it sucked.

Then the fish planet was more running back and forth across a big map. So I got bitter.

Koriban (Sith Academy), where I am now, seems more interesting. So there is still hope for me finishing. :)