Thursday, September 09, 2004

You know it's love when...

...Your dad is quoted as saying this, regarding his involvement with you, his brand new baby son:

"My wife is really wonderful about the situation," he said. "I spend a couple of hours a day in the morning and the evening helping take care of the baby, but my wife has gone out of her way to make sure that I'm able to do the things I want to do."


Because you certainly wouldn't include 'taking care of the baby' as something you would 'want to do'.

That somewhat sad quote is from John Carmack, the genius behind the engines from Doom 1-3, Quake 1-3, and a million other games that licensed his engines.

I've mentioned Carmack before: here, here, and here. He's pretty amazingly brilliant, and was one of the inspirations for my early programming.

These days it is sounding like he is getting bored with just writing the world's best game engines (which I guess I can understand after like 15 years, and millions and millions of dollars). Instead, he is more interested in building rocket ships (seriously).

It will be too bad when he finally retires from id.

However, regardless of his programming talent, he obviously isn't going to be a role-model for how to express your love for your kids.

2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

Thankfully you only want to pattern your programming career after him, not your personal life.

Steve Eck said...

Yeah, I certainly don't want to pattern my personal life after him. I mean, who wants to spend a couple hours a day taking care of the kids, that would suck.

;)