Saturday, October 09, 2004

Dad's shelves


The complicated shelf.
Linzy and I went over to my parent's house tonight for dinner and a visit. Before dinner I helped my Dad a bit with his renovation of their family room. The remodeling has been extensive, involving new recessed lights, new sheetrock on the bottom half of the walls (after removing the old wains-coating), and the current time-sink, new built-in cabinets.

Dad is making good progress, he's pretty much completed the shelves in what will be the new office (what was formerly my sister's room) and the cabinet that will be on the right of the fireplace.

That leaves the toughest cabinet, the corner TV cabinet. It is all angles, and complex cuts in order to maximize the space available for components and still have it look nice.

The piece my Dad and I (mostly my Dad) cut this afternoon was a doozy. You can see a picture of it above (there are more pictures in the full-post), but it was basically a hexagon with an extra trapazoid attached. Since it is the main TV shelf, it needed to be one piece and, of course, fit exactly right. Being the nerds we are, at one point we were considering how close we could get to the square root of 1.125 inches (1.06066) in order for the front section to fit as snugly as possible against the side supports.

The piece came out quite nice, it fit nearly perfectly. If you are interested, you can see more pictures in the full-post.

Close-up of the 4 cuts that had to be made on each end.

Mom standing in front of the hutch Dad built.

The shelves in the new office.

Another close-up of the end-cuts.

3 comments:

Warren and Becky said...

Gee who knows maybe these pictures will start a whole new career for Dad. Furniture maker, precise and accurate to the extreme!

Steve Eck said...

Yeah, then he could hire me to work for him, and then we could have a reality TV series American Cabinet.

I'm not sure how Dad would look with handle-bar mustaches though.

McBrideFarm said...

Can I be the annoying sibling who's unskilled and therefore comes in only to do office work and goof around? I think I would be good at that.

The cabinets look really nice. I'll be sending the measurements for our set within the next few days :)