Thursday, January 27, 2005

High Fashion

Lately, Linzy has found a new favorite show in Project Runway.

It is Yet Another Reality TV show, in this case pitting a dozen unknown wannabe fashion designers against each other for some sort of prize (exposure and some seed money it looks like).

Each show the contestants have to design clothes and they have models, err, model the clothes for the judges at the end of each show. There is usually some sort of theme the clothes have to be designed for. The theme is abstract, for example 'envy' was the theme one week.

As you might expect a lot of the designs are pretty bizzare.

In the case of 'envy', one designer (Nora, I believe) designed a dress with tumors on it. As in cancerous tumors. The amusing part of that episode (or at least the parts I saw) was that in that episode they were surprised by being told to try to promote and sell their clothing at a silent auction. So the lady was stuck trying to explain a dress with cancerous tumors all over it to potential customers.

One of the interesting things about the show I think (and usually the only part I watch) is how they handle letting people know who is eliminated.

After all the outfits have been modeled, the judges ask questions and they make the designers defend their work. Then at some point they cut the group in half or so. The first people who are sent off make the cut. Those remaining out in front of the judges are both the 'highest' and 'lowest' performers.

This seems like a suspense killer, until you consider it is Haute Couture, so you really don't have much of an idea who's design is good, and who's is bad.

For example, the week of the cancerous tumor dress, I don't believe Nora was actually eliminated. I think she ended up being eliminated a few weeks later for making (what I thought was) a nice looking wedding dress. The judges thought it was too mainstream, even though that was what her client had requested she make. Another designer who made some crazy horrific-looking 'punk-rock' wedding dress survived the cut.

Anyways, it just seemed like a twist that really wouldn't work for many competition shows.

3 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

Tina just told me today that she watches that show. I hadn't heard of it and will most likely not ever have the pleasure of watching it.

Cancerous tumors just don't seem like a good idea in any situation, ever.

Steve Eck said...

I agree, I can't think of any situation where putting cancerous tumors on a dress would be a good idea.

In theory the designer defended it by saying she was trying to express how envy grows inside of you like a tumor. Or something to that effect.

Another designer for that same show made like a business suit for women and said it was 'Penis Envy'. He didn't get kicked off either.

Thus proving that I have no idea what makes 'good' fashion. :)

McBrideFarm said...

I've been watching that show off and on, usually when I happen by it. I find it pretty entertaining. Especially the parts where they have about five minutes left and eight-hundred feet of raffia to finish sewing onto their horrid-looking dress.

I saw the episode you mention with the cancer, and one thing I thought was crazy was that the woman who won had designed what looked to me like a boogie-woogie-bugle-boy outfit...jealousy? What?