Monday, February 28, 2005

Books: The Bourne Identity

After I finished Jack Welch's book, I started in on The Bourne Identity. The book was written in 1980 by the prolific Robert Ludlum but has experienced a resurgence of popularity lately with the various Jason Bourne movies.

I have read one Robert Ludlum novel, although it was actually just his characters, written by someone else after his death. That book (The Altman Code) was pretty good, and since I enjoy the Bourne movies I picked up The Bourne Identity for 50 cents at a rummage sale.

The Bourne Identity was good, I enjoyed it. The pacing was fast, and the plot was significantly different then the movie (imagine that, Hollywood changing the plot), so that kept things interesting.

About the only thing that annoyed me about the book was that some parts felt repetitive. There were portions dealing with the main character regaining his memory where he would experience flashes of insight into his past again and again, each time recalling a few more details. I understand why they would do that, but it felt somewhat repetitive the millionth time you read 'Delta is for Charlie, Cain is for Delta'.

All-in-all I enjoyed the book, and went ahead and borrowed The Bourne Supremacy from the library. First though, I am reading You Shall Know Our Velocity.

No comments: