Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Books: You Shall Know Our Velocity

Yesterday I finished You Shall Know Our Velocity after a quick couple-day read. It was most definitely not something I would normally have read, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

YSKOV is about two friends who decide to fly around the world giving away $32,000 after they lose a close friend. The book details their somewhat bungled attempts at traveling around the world, and how they try to come to grips with losing a friend.

Initially the book really grabbed me. It was interesting, fast-paced and written in a very unique style. As the book wore on though, I started to lose interest a bit. About halfway through, the situations they get themselves into in the various countries started to seem a bit repetitive. By the time the big 'twist' happened 2/3rds of the way through, I had really gotten bored with it.

Part of the problem was that through the first part of the book, there is a lot of interesting backstory to be slowly doled out, explaining more and more about what is going on and how things came to be this way. But around the time of the 'twist', you've found out basically all the backstory you need to understand everything. That leaves the last third of the book to wrap up the trip. But once I understood everything, I found that I didn't really care anymore, and was just reading to find out how they were going to end things. Not because I had to know.

I guess it is a little hard to explain. If I had written a review at around the halfway point, I would have unequivocally said that I really enjoyed the book. But now I am not sure where my feelings lie.

Overall I guess the book was better then some I have read, and certainly was a change of pace. But I can't heartily recommend it.

No comments: