Friday, March 11, 2005

Local Restaurant Review

Lately, we've eaten out at quite a few new local restaurants including, the Roasted Pear, Divinci's Pizza, Enjoy, and Terasa's Mexican. If you live in the area, you might be interested to know what I thought of them.

Roasted Pear

For Valentine's Day, Linzy and I went to the Roasted Pear in Burnsville. The place was pretty nice, but there wasn't much seating. I always remembered the Ground Round as being larger, but the way they rearranged things seemed to have cutout a lot of seating. We both thought the food was OK, but not particularly terrific. Linzy had rotisserie chicken, and I had a cajun shrimp pasta dish. We also split a cheescake or some sort of desert.

The main problem I had with the Roasted Pear was that it was pretty expensive. Expensive enough that I would have liked the food to be outstanding, which it was decidedly not.


Divinci's Pizza

Yes, the restaurant that I wrote about last week finally opened shortly thereafter. Linzy and I went there earlier this week for dinner. The restaurant was a study in contrasts. All the fixtures, flooring and overall decorations are very nice, and pretty fancy. The furniture (at least the booths) was crap. The pizza we had was very good, we had a thin crust woodfired sausage and mushroom. The salads on the other hand were not particularly good. Side salads weren't listed on the menu, so it was somewhat of a challenge ordering one.

Which brings up one of the two issues I had with the place, the service was terrible. I'm not sure if they were short-staffed or what, but everyone around us was having the same problems trying to get their waitresses to come back, bring the bill, bring out the right food, bring back the credit card, whatever. Divinci's was fairly expensive, for pizza. It was comparable to Green Mill, which makes it more expensive than what I am willing to pay for pizza on a regular basis.

Finally, FWIW, both Linzy and I couldn't help noticing that Divinci's sausage looked exactly like the sausage on Totino's Party Pizzas. It tasted a lot better though.


Enjoy

Today for lunch my Mom took Linzy and I to Enjoy in Apple Valley. It was just as classy inside as the building looked outside, if not more so. It was also just as expensive as I had heard it was.

Linzy and my Mom both had Four Onion soup and salad (Caesar and Baby Green respectively), I had the turkey club. The Four Onion soup looked and smelled quite good. My turkey club was OK, I wasn't a huge fan of the dressing they put on it (some sort of thousand island dressing), but the fries were quite good.

The service was quite good, and the atmosphere was really nice. But it was quite pricey, the dinner entrees ranged from around $15-30 a piece. Definitely a special occasion place not a 'lets go out on a random night' place in my book.


Teresa's

Now, Teresa's Mexican is not really a new restaurant. In fact, we've been there on three separate occasions over the last 5-6 months. But I get a surprising amount of hits from people searching about it, so I thought I would try to provide something vaguely helpful.

Anyways, we really like Teresa's. Through the various visits, we've tried a number of different entrees and I've only been disappointed once, with a quesadilla combo of some sort. And it wasn't bad, just not exactly what I was looking for. Their salsa is quite good, the chips are average.

The service has always been good, and there has never been a wait for a table when we have been there (although it was randomly closed for a family emergency one time). Plus the price is right, it is not particularly expensive. Certainly cheaper then Don Pablo's.

6 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

Which brings up one of the two issues I had with the place, the service was terrible. I'm not sure if they were short-staffed or what, but everyone around us was having the same problems trying to get their waitresses to come back, bring the bill, bring out the right food, bring back the credit card, whatever.

It's really sad that while having quite a bit of time between your review and my review of Divinci's Pizza, they haven't improved one single bit. You would think that in a bit over three months they would be able to turn themselves around.

Not so! The service was absolutely horrendous, the wait staff was blaming everyone but themselves, and the owner himself was pointing at us while yelling at the waiter.

Completely unprofessional and not what you would expect when you walk in the door.

I have a feeling that Lakeville's new strip mall won't have that pizza place for much longer.

Steve Eck said...

That is pretty sad, that it hasn't gotten any better in the past 4 months.

Everytime I drive by there, it is completely deserted and we comment on how it can't be much longer before Divinci's goes under.

Bill Roehl said...

Everytime I drive by there, it is completely deserted and we comment on how it can't be much longer before Divinci's goes under.

We had originally tried the Greek chain restaurant in the same strip mall and were completely unimpressed (actually probably less so food wise than Divinci's) but Divinci's looked "sharp" and inviting from the outside so we decided to return.

I wonder if the word is spreading quickly via word of mouth about how poor his restaurant is or if the location just isn't conducive to bring in the necessary traffic?

Steve Eck said...

I would guess it is a little of both.

Word-of-mouth complaints certainly don't help, but the location isn't really ideal yet either. It is just a bit too far south.

Far worse restuarants (in terms of service) in Apple Valley are packed all the time, I suppose because of their more convenient locations.

Anonymous said...

Divinci's Pizza = HORRIBLE
Bad food, slow service, waste of time and money

Bill Roehl said...

Far worse restuarants (in terms of service) in Apple Valley are packed all the time, I suppose because of their more convenient locations.

True but they are chains. As much as *I* personally dislike eating at chains they draw in the majority of people like moths to light.

I look forward to some newer restaurants opening in the Apple Valley/Farmington/Lakeville metroplex ;) that aren't chains and that have good food and decent service.

Fajita's Southwest Grill was a big disappointment in that it not only directly copies from Chipotle and Qdoba but it just wasn't all that great of food.

At least people are trying I guess.