Thursday, April 28, 2005

It's all about being specific

You too can be the best at something, as long as you are specific enough about what exactly it is that you do.

For example, yesterday I got an e-mail from a publicist that included the line:

... is the world’s premiere electronic harmonica player who plays with DJs while wearing a colorful and elaborate light-wire suit


Note that they are not claiming he is the world's best electronic harmonica player (let alone best regular harmonica player). Nor is he necessarily the best electronic harmonica player who wears a colorful and elaborate light-wire suit. But, when you are talking about an electronic harmonica, an elaborate light-wire suit and a DJ, he's got the title all wrapped up.

I'd tell you about all the things I'm the world's best in, but I don't like to brag.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

don't forget that the suit has to be colorful too! Otherwise there are dozens of competitors for this limited-market harmonicist. (is that a word?)

I, on the other hand, need only be as specific to say that I am the world’s premiere runner at a distance of 4.653 kilometers, run in the rain while wearing a bathing suit, goggles, and a colorful, elaborate light-wire suit, and while carrying a toy poodle in my left arm and a boombox playing “Chariots of Fire” in my right.

Not that I’ve ever tried it, but I can’t imagine people would be lining up to compete against me in such a race.

Steve Eck said...

Well, you certainly wouldn't be getting any competition from me, I have "Eye of the Tiger" playing from that boombox in my right arm.

Anyone can race with "Chariots of Fire".