Saturday, April 16, 2005

Science Museum Trip

Linzy and I went to the Minnesota Science Museum this afternoon. Linzy had a project to do for school on the pharmacology exhibits at the museum, and I went along. The science museum wasn't nearly as much fun as I remember it being when I was 12.

This was my first trip to the museum in a long, long time. I used to love going to the museum when I was a kid. They had all kinds of fun hands-on exhibits, dinosaur skeletons, and all kinds of other stuff that seems cool to a young kid. They still have similar (but updated) exhibits, but they are pretty kid-oriented. I guess that shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

This was the first time I had been there since they built a new building in 1999, and I have to say it is quite a nice place. It is significantly bigger then the previous building, but a good portion of the building didn't seem to be in use for exhibits right now.

Contributing to my disappointment with the whole trip was the fact that the 'Chinasaur' exhibit was not as cool as I was expecting. They had quite a few dinosaur skeletons, but they wasn't as much information about them as I would have liked. I suppose that is part of their plan to sell you the information headsets, but another two bucks a person seemed a bit excessive, on top of the $12.50 a person it costs to get in the door.

We also were unlucky with the Omnitheater movies that were available when we arrived. Everything was more crowded then we were expecting, so we couldn't get in to see the Antarctica show at 3:00. Instead we saw 'Seasons' at 4:00, which is one of my least favorite shows.

I'm sure when I have kids to bring to the museum, I'll enjoy it a lot more. Until then, I don't think I'll be a regular attendee.

No comments: