Saturday, May 21, 2005

Star Wars Nerd

Like most nerds my age, I am a huge fan of the original Star Wars trilogy. Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw in the theater (probably when it was re-released in theaters prior to Empire Strikes Back). I still remember having to sit on my knees to see over the people in front of me, and being amazed and mildly frightened as the Empire blew open the door to Princess Leia's spaceship in the opening.

When I was a kid, I had every Star Wars action figure they made (literally). I had all sorts of Star Wars books, board games, Halloween costumes. I watched the movies so many times I could recite entire sections of the movie verbatim. I've paid George Lucas for the privilege of having Yet Another Copy of Movies I Already Own several times. I even relucantly put up with George's incessant twiddling with the movies I love.

My incredible love for the original trilogy doomed my enjoyment of The Phantom Menace. I went in with ridiculously high expectations and when it turned out not only to be a terrible Star Wars movie, but also a pretty freaking bad movie in general I was extremely disappointed. Eventually with additional viewings plus more realistic expectations I came to not hate the movie quite as much as I originally did. But I still don't really like the movie.

The huge disappointment that was Episode 1 actually set me up to somewhat enjoy Attack of the Clones. I was pretty bitter about the whole thing, so went to Episode 2 more out of duty then any real excitement about enjoying it. So when it turned out to be mildly entertaining I was pretty happy.

Since then I've slowly been getting more and more excited about Revenge of the Sith. After watching the last 5 episodes of the Clone Wars cartoons, I was really excited to see the movie.

Having learned my lesson with Episode 1, I tried hard to keep my excitement under control. I would jokingly remind myself, or others that it was going to be a bad movie, that I was going to hate it, that it would be the last straw causing me to throw out the last remaining Star Wars toys I have (Legos). My friends at work even got into the act, stopping by my cube to remind me just how much I would dislike the movie.

I'm not sure how much that actually worked to keep my expectations low, versus making me think more about the movie itself, but it seemed worth a try. Eventually May 19th arrived, and it was time to go see the (likely) final movie in the my favorite movie series of all time. I just hoped it would finally be a movie that could live up to the standards set by the original trilogy.

No comments: