Wednesday, May 18, 2005

TV: Star Wars: Clone Wars

In preparation for the big day tomorrow, Linzy and I sat down and watched the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoons from Cartoon Network. Each cartoon is a short 10-15 minute episode that together cover the story and time period between Episode 2 and Episode 3.

The cartoons are actually fairly old now, but I had never gotten around to watching them. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the shows. They weren't up to the standards of say a Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, of Fullmetal Alchemist but they were fun to watch.

The first season didn't have much story, but basically just showed a lot of the clone wars battles. Towards the end of the season they started introducing some additional characters and a little bit of story, making it pretty interesting. The second season (which is really just 5 ~13 minute episodes) started slow but was very, very good by the last three episodes, mainly because they significantly advanced the story.

That story advance was actually fairly surprising because it included some stuff that I assumed would be in Episode 3. I won't spoil it here, but I am glad that I watched the shows so that I have all the background information for the movie tomorrow.

The other good thing about Season 2 (Episodes 21-25) was they featured one of the coolest fighting characters to come along since Darth Maul, General Grievous. I'm pretty excited to see how they use him in the movie.

Finally, it turns out you can stream the last 5 episodes (albeit in postage-stamp sized Quicktime movies) right from StarWars.com, if you so desire.

Now I just have to concentrate on keeping my expectations low until tomorrow evening.

No comments: