Monday, May 02, 2005

Word of the Day: Sleekit

It's been quite a while since I did a 'Word of the Day', so perhaps all your friends are getting tired of you working Chisler, Toerag, and Haute Couture into conversations.

Today I glanced at the newly revealed May page of our kitchen calendar. It happens to be a Yorkshire Terrier calendar and it has bizarre snippets of poetry each month in addition to the requisite 'cute puppy' pictures.

Anyways, this month's poem was a doozy containing all sorts of ten-dollar words. The first to catch my eye was sleekit. As in:

But poor Stickeen, the wee, hairy, sleekit beastie, think of him.


That, plus the rest of the, rather long for a calendar, poem didn't really give me enough context to figure out what sleekit meant. So I had to ask Google.

The first result from the "Dictionary of Difficult Words" said:

a. crafty, sly; smooth.


The perhaps more reputable MSN Encarta says:

adjective
Scotland sly: superficially charming but cunning and untrustworthy


Most of the rest of the results dealt with the use of sleekit in a Robert Burns poem .

So there you have it; Sleekit is apparently a Scottish word meaing sly, crafty and cunning, but in a sort of not-to-be-trusted way. Why you would use it in a poem about your dog I am not really sure.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

I think the entire phrase "wee, hairy, sleekit beastie" is a little bizarre in general. I suppose finding 12 poems about yorkies is a little difficult.

Steve Eck said...

I totally agree, although google claims there are over 11,000 pages matching 'Yorkie Poems'.

Maybe it is a crazy subculture like making clothes out of your golden retriever's hair.