Monday, November 14, 2005

Did You Find Everything OK?

So, why do retail stores force their cashiers to ask each customer if they found everything OK? It's not like I'm fooled into thinking the company cares about my shopping experience when a sullen high-school student mumbles the question and ignores my response.

Whether I answer:

Yes

or

No, I came here for food, but you were completely out of everything. The shelves are bare, all you have left is one Snickers bar, which I bought just because I thought I should get something.

Their response is typically the same, "Ok". Or, if they were actually listening, perhaps they might make up a few lame excuses.

I always feel obligated to answer honestly, in the vain hope that the feedback will make it beyond register 6. But that seems hopelessly optimistic.

For example, yesterday I was at Best Buy to buy some dual-layer DVDs. Except they only sold ones good at 2.4x or 6x. Nowhere near the 16x my burner can handle. Not wanting to leave empty-handed, I bought a small pack of 6x discs.

The conversation at checkout went like this:

Her: Did you find everything OK?
Me: Actually, no. I wanted faster DVDs.
Her: What?
Me: Faster DVDs. You know, these can only be burned at 6x, I wanted some 16x ones.
Her: Oh.

And that was the end of it. A waste of everyone involved's time.

2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

That's good humor.

Steve Eck said...

That's what I'm here for.