Tuesday, November 22, 2005

No XBox for Me

I got asked by at least half a dozen people today whether I ended up getting an XBox 360 this morning. Apparently everyone scoffed at my will-power to resist buying a shiny new game system.

Unfortunately, at least in terms of making this an interesting post, I didn't buy an Xbox 360. So I don't have any fun stories about driving all over town trying to scrape one up. I also didn't talk to Gerard to find out if he was able to pick one up somewhere, so that I would at least be able to relay a second-hand story.

All I do know is that earlier I was regretting that I didn't at least order one for the sole purpose of reselling it on EBay. When I looked over lunch, an XBox 360 premium system was going for over $1500, and even now a lot are going for $800-900. I could have just brought another person with me, bought two and sold one on EBay for enough to cover the cost of the first system. Idiot.

On the other hand, Brenden sent me this link where a guy waited overnight outside Best Buy to get one, and it turned out that Best Buy was foisting bundle packages on people. Insanely bad bundle deals.

The bundle deals forced you to spend $60+ on worthless extended warranties on the system and each game (!). They also bragged about 'Free XBox 360 Remote', even though that is included standard in the initial run of XBox 360s. And, I was amused by the math behind the '10% discount', which was actually more like 5% and didn't even cover the cost of the lame extended warranties.

I would have been very upset if I waited around for hours and hours to buy a system, only to have them tell me I can't have one unless I buy all that extra crap when all I wanted was the system and a game.

I'm sure I'll eventually end up with a system (one friend claimed by Feb.), but at this point I'm just too cheap...err practical.

2 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

With the recent talk of the 360 being unstable and crashing during gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these units stop going for such ridiculous prices (i.e. the $5100 XBox).

Steve Eck said...

I think to some extent it depends on why people are so desperate to get their hands on one.

If they want one because its the Best Console Ever, then seeing the crashes might dissuaed them.

If they want it because it is the One Thing Johnny wants for Christmas, then it doesn't really matter if it is an unstable beast.

In the long run any instability certainly matters, but not probably in the short term.