Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Real Handcuffs

On Saturday, on the way to the Halloween Party we had to stop and pick up some ice. So I ran into the local gas station to get a 20lb bag, wearing my police officer outfit. I got some pretty strange looks, but no one really said anything.

When I walked up to the counter to pay for the ice, the girl running the register smiled and we had this conversation:

Her: Hey, nice outfit.
Me: Thanks.
<pause>
Her: So, are those real handcuffs?
Me: No, they're fake. You can pretty much let yourself out of them at will.
Her: Oh. I have real ones at home.


Yikes!

Maybe she meant that the Kwik Trip job was just a part-time one, while she was working on a law enforcement degree....

4 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

Heh. That's really funny. Did you say anything back to her..."Oh, how nice"? I guess what do you say, really? :)

Steve Eck said...

I wasn't really sure what to say. I think I just kind of laughed and said something like "Well, have a nice night".

Brenden Johnson said...

I'm sure she was having a nice night later on.

Steve Eck said...

I'm not sure she was looking for a 'nice' time.