Friday, December 23, 2005

Movies: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

This afternoon, I went with Linzy, my parents and my sister and brother-in-law to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The movie was very faithful to the book, and I enjoyed most of it.

When I was a kid, I loved the books and read all seven several times. I also liked the BBC series of movies (which now I find pretty much intolerable). Thus I was probably predisposed to enjoy the movie, as long as it hewed at least reasonably closely to the story from the book.

The special effects in the movie were outstanding, Aslan the Lion looked extremely realistic (at least to the extent that a talking lion can look realistic), and almost all the creatures were very well done. The only creatures I was a little disappointed by were mostly in the horde of evil monsters during Aslan's sacrifice. They looked a lot like cast-offs from a Lord of the Rings film. Also, I thought the wolves were less scary then I envisioned when I was a kid.

Since the movie followed the book closely, I can't complain about the plot too much. It certainly isn't one of the fastest moving stories on the planet though. There is a lot of time spent just getting the characters all into Narnia, so the rest of the movie can take place. At the same time, if they had changed the sequence of events where they all end up in Narnia I probably would have been pretty disappointed.

I did think the movie left out a bit of the back-story to some of the characters (I suppose in the interest of time). I'm not sure if that would have made things seem rather random if you didn't already have at least some familiarity with the characters.

Overall I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It was somewhat slow moving at the start, but I was expecting that and once everyone got into Narnia I through the movie moved along quite nicely. I would recommend it, if you enjoyed the book(s).

No comments: