Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Movies: Vampire Hunter D

Several weeks ago, Linzy and I went all retro and watched Vampire Hunter D. Netflix had recommended it to Linzy, and since she had never seen it, she added it to the queue. I was pretty surprised when it showed up, as it seemed a bit hardcore of an anime movie for Linzy to add out of the blue.

It had been a long time since I'd seen the movie, in fact virtually the only thing I recalled about the whole movie was "Left Hand". That made it kind of nice, as it was like watching it for the first time all over again.

The movie wasn't too bad, but it wasn't spectacular either.

The animation must have been pretty impressive back in 1985, but it is showing its age rather severely 20 years later. The sound effects and music were almost exclusively 80s-era synthesizers, which was cool from a retro flashback standpoint but a bit annoying after a while. Still, the characters were cool, particularly D. And the story was interesting, not terribly complex but deep enough to have support a few twists at the end.

All-in-all it was worth watching, but not something I would rush out to see again. I am planning to add Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust to the old Netflix queue though, as I don't think recall seeing that one.

No comments: