Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Out of Touch

I was looking through the Shacknews Game of the Year poll today, when it dawned on me just how few of these games I've actually played: One (Civilization 4).

That's pretty sad for a self-professed video game nerd, and a good indication of just how little time I've had to play games this year.

The games I did play were:



I also started Half-Life 2 but quit in disgust after being pissed off by its myriad technical problems one too many times, played Tales of Symphonia for a while before I realized I had no hope of having enough time to finish it, played quite a bit of Civilization 4 (which is outstanding), and of course played Guitar Hero.

That is a fairly average number of games for me to play in the course of a year these days. As I've gotten older, I've slowly been getting less up-to-date with the latest and greatest games. Back in the Day, I would have played almost all of those games. For the Game of the Year poll last year, I hadn't played many of the games, but I had at least played a couple from many categories. Now, I look through the games and have only played a single one.

Not that I am upset about the quantity of video game playing this year (except when it was ridiculous 80 hour weeks at work causing the death of my free time). I certainly had the opportunity to choose what activities I wanted to fill my free-time with (biking, for example). I just thought it was interesting.

2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

Biking is probably better for you anyway.

Steve Eck said...

Probably. And it's not like I wasn't playing any games, just not current ones.