Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Cheap DVDs

Since my wireless network downstairs is out of commission, I've been back to watching DVD special features while I lumber on the treadmill.

While I don't enjoy these as much as a recorded TV show, I don't usually mind them too much. Most of the time there are some interesting 'making of' type videos on there, or if nothing else I'll just watch the commentary track. For some reason, while I don't like watching only half of a full-length movie, it doesn't bother me at all to listen to half of a movies' commentary track.

Anyway, the other day I picked out our Batman Begins DVD to watch. Like a disturbing percentage of our DVDs, it had never been out of its protective shrinkwrap. So after opening it and throwing it in the player, I hopped on the treadmill ready to check out some hopefully interesting information on how they did the stunts, what they used for the CG effects, etc.

It turns out that the Batman Begins DVD is probably the most worthless DVD we own in terms of special features. It has only a single one: the theatrical trailer. That's it, no commentary track, no behind the scenes featurette, no deleted scenes, nothing.

I'd expect that from the four-episode Flash Gordon TV Show DVD Larry Santa got me for Christmas, because they didn't do any behind-the-scenes recording back then. But Batman Begins was a major summer movie from a big studio. The DVD didn't even have an insert with chapter titles in it, just an ad for something unrelated (Symantec virus protection).

No wonder they can sell those DVDs so cheap.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

You must have bought the cheap-o version. I could have sworn I got the 2 disk set with some special features on Disk 2. Also, did yours not include the awesome MTV Movie Awards Batman skit? TANK MAN!

Bill Roehl said...

No wonder they can sell those DVDs so cheap.

They have regressed back to the original DVD cases that were just cardboard and plastic rather than all plastic. The inside information is either completely missing or is a single sheet (one-sided) of nothing more than what you saw on the front cover. Sometimes it's nothing more than an advertisement.

In the case of Blockbuster the DVD cases are now FILLED with ads. As if dealing with commercials and mandatory trailers (if your DVD player abides by the directions required by the DVD itself) and other ads wasn't annoying enough after spending $4.25 for a rental!

I like the "cheap DVDs" that I pick up at Target and Walmart for $7.99 or under. I personally only watch the trailer anyway (which I do before basically every movie).

Then again, you get what you pay for :)

Steve Eck said...

Shawn, Our version is only a single disc version. I didn't even know a multiple-disc set was available.

Bill, I was pretty happy the day I found that my DVD player lets you skip those previews just by skipping ahead a chapter or two. I hate the enforced ads.