Sunday, January 01, 2006

Christmas 2005

As always, I had a great Christmas holiday.

This year Linzy and I spent Christmas Eve with my side of the family, at my parent's house. Then on Christmas morning we drove to Duluth and spent Christmas day and several days afterwards with Linzy's family.

[ Pictures were uploaded here ]

Christmas Eve morning Linzy and I exchanged our stockings, and then went over to my parent's house for an appetizer lunch. We spent the afternoon relaxing, playing Guitar Hero (at other people's insistence, not mine), and opening our stockings. Guitar Hero turned out to be much more difficult on my parent's fancy DLP TV, as it has an imperceptible delay in the display, which is not noticable during tv/movies/etc but makes playing a rhythm-based game extremely difficult. You basically had to play along with the song, ahead of when the notes hit the 'play' bar.

After our stockings were opened up (we did this early in the day, to try to keep the evening from going until after midnight, as Linzy and I needed to get up early on Christmas morning), we enjoyed our traditional Christmas Eve dinner: steak, twice-baked potatoes, shredded carrots, rolls, and salad. The meal was unbelievably good as always. The steaks were Prime Dry-Aged and cooked to perfection, the potatoes are my favorite kind, and the wine was delicious as well.

Once we had cleaned up the dinner dishes, we went to an early evening Christmas Eve service at church. The service was nice, but very brief, and felt (to me) a little rushed. After that, it was time to fill what few corners were left empty in our stomachs with some dessert, and then we opened presents. Everyone seemed happy with their presents, so that was good.

Christmas morning we packed the Pathfinder to the gills and drove up to Duluth. We were a little late in leaving, so we didn't arrive until 1:00pm or so. Linzy, her parents and I went over to Grandma and Grandpa's house right away. We spent a couple hours over there chatting with other family that stopped by, and eating a late lunch.

Around 4:00 we went back to Linzy's parent's house to open gifts. My brother-in-law was MIA, as he left on a bender long before we arrived in Duluth. So it was just the four of us opening gifts. Again, everyone seemed to enjoy their gifts, which is always a plus since we (Linzy in particular) spends so much time deciding what to get people.

Later that night we finished off our Christmas Day by going over to a friend of the family's house to watch the Vikings' playoff hopes finally die. My brother-in-law was there, and well on his way to being sloppy drunk. We left after the game ended, but apparently everyone else didn't because they called Linzy's parents at 1:30am to say that my brother-in-law's partner-in-crime had slipped/jumped/did something stupid and cut open his chin, and needed to be driven to the emergency room.

Anyways, regardless of the brother-in-law-bender, it was a terrific Christmas.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

Nice pics! It was great seeing you guys at Christmas. I especially liked how you captured my pile of snotty kleenex in the one of me working on that silly puzzle. :)

I'll post our pictures tonight.

Steve Eck said...

I'm glad you liked the pics. Linzy was actually responsible for the snotty kleenex shot, as I was busy trying to get that Gordian Knot taken apart. :)