Friday, April 07, 2006

A Little Old

I have fairly controlled asthma. I've had it since I was just a young kid, and it used to be a lot worse then it is today. Nowadays it only causes me trouble if I am out exercising in cold air, if my allergies are acting up, or if I am sick. For the most part I just use a preventative inhaler twice a day and everything is good. Occasionally I will use one of my fast-acting albuterol inhalers.

This afternoon at work I decided I wanted to use one of the albuterol inhalers. I keep one stashed in my work laptop bag for just such situations, so I dug it out and took a puff.

It tasted a little weird.

I started thinking about it, and remembered that I have some unopened boxes of inhalers that were so old they were expiring. And then I started wondering about just how old was the inhaler that has been in my bag for years was. So I looked up the expiration date on the canister.

April 2003.

Whoops.

Hopefully if there are any side-effects of expired albuterol they run towards the x-ray vision, leaping tall buildings in a single bound, or shooting webs from my wrists variety rather then the growing a tail and a third arm variety.

No comments: