Friday, May 19, 2006

Artificial Selection

Today I spent some time ruining a large bush/tree on the side of our house. The plant has a tendency to get rather leggy, with all its growing being at the ends of branches and never filling in. This makes it look less-then-spectacular but also poses a huge problem because most of its new growth was directly in the way of the garage.

Over the years, I've trimmed the branches that were closest to the garage out of the way, but this year ran out of anything to trim short of hacking off an entire third of the tree. Which is exactly what I did.



The branch pile from the main section I cut off.


All the trimmings neatly cut up and crammed into the yard waste recycle container.


The tree ended up looking fairly decent from the front.


But from the side, you can really tell that it only grows at the top, as there is nothing left in the center.


I also trimmed a lot of the long new growth on the top, in the hopes that it will convince the plant to start some new branches down lower. For the next few years I think the tree will be an eyesore, but hopefully eventually it will rebound.

And if it doesn't, it's already been warned that I'm not afraid to cut the whole thing down and replace it with something more cooperative.

2 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

Well the front is really what matters anyway, right? :) Funny. It's obviously got its own plan for where it needs to grow. I'm glad you weren't afraid to show it who's boss.

Steve Eck said...

Yep, clearly me and the tree don't see eye-to-eye on whether it should grow really tall, but with sparse leaves, or if it should be smaller but fuller.

Unfortunately, I fully expect to be posting in a few years about digging it out and replacing it. :)