Sunday, May 07, 2006

Strange Signage

On Saturday Linzy and I went over to Bill and Anne's house to visit and meet Alice for the first time. On the drive there from Linzy's parent's house we took the back way and came down a part of Woodland Ave that I don't normally drive on.

Just a few miles from Bill's house was a small somewhat-shady-looking car repair shop that had a large permanent sign in front where they could put messages. You know, one of those signs that would say things like "$99 spring car tuneup", or "Free Brake Inspections", or something along those lines.

This sign, however, was being used to display messages that, as far as I can tell, had absolutely nothing to do with their car repair business. One side said "Marriage - Is it a word or a sentence". Ok, kind of weird. Then the other side had this written on it:

I don't jog
If I die
I want to be sick


What the heck is that even supposed to mean, let alone have to do with car repair? I'm pretty sure if I lived in the area, it would mean "Don't take your car here".

5 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

There's a hardware store in Woodstock that always displays "witty" signs like that. They're always dumb--kind of "old man" humor. One of my recent "favorites": "The best signboard ideas are always 1 character too lon"

I think the jogging one is supposed to mean that jogging would kill him, and he'd rather die from illness than jogging. Dumb.

Bill Roehl said...

Maybe it was just kids using what letters were available to make crazy messages to confuse out of towners ;)

Scooter said...

I don't jog. If I die, I want to be sick (instead of healthy). Right? I agree wtih you, not very witty. And why wouldn't you want to die healthy? Sitting around sick for a long time means you've been miserable haven't been enjoying all the other benefits of being healthy. Dropping dead on a bike ride would probably be ok in my book (though I mean to imply naturally dropping dead, not getting hit by a car). The store owner is probably the same guy that does the church signs at the church on my way to work.

wleino said...

I was out walking the dog and came across the sign. I had the same response. Except for it is a trustworthy auto shop.
They are the guys who took my Nova away after it died and helped me remove all the stuff I thought might have value.

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, I actually kind of like the 'too long' sentence. At least it is vaguely funny and makes sense.

Bill, If that was the goal, they can consider it accomplished.

Scooter, I agree, I can't imagine wanting to spend several miserable months/years being sick before dying.

Bill, Good to know that they aren't shady, just bad sign-slogan-makers. :)