Friday, June 23, 2006

Movies: The Aristocrats

One night earlier this week, I watched The Aristocrats, a documentary on "The world's dirtiest joke".

I was a little worried about whether I would enjoy 90 minutes of the same joke, over and over, especially since a friend mentioned that they got bored by the end. As it turned out, I was entertained through the whole film. I'm not sure that I would have wanted it to be much longer, but there was definitely plenty of content for the length.

The gist of the movie is documenting a particular joke that has a (more-or-less) set beginning and end, but which allows for basically infinite ad-libbing in the middle. So the film spends a while talking about the history of the joke, and then all the different variations people use to tell it. Some are very similar, and others are completely different.

I enjoyed a lot of the comics, but my favorites were probably the South Park version, Kevin Pollack's impression of Christopher Walken telling the joke, and the guy who told it as a joke about Jewish, Buddhist and Catholic priests.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that the movie held up as well as it did, covering one joke for 89 minutes.

4 comments:

Moe said...

Yeah, I thought it was great as well. I loved seeing straight and clean comics telling some of the dirtiest variations I've ever heard.

Steve Eck said...

Moe, I agree. I also liked Drew Carey's finger-snapping/arm pose. I thought that it was amusing see all the other comics try it out.

Scooter said...

Did you watch any of the extras? Kevin Pollack did another imitation and there was a truly disturbing mime performance.

Steve Eck said...

I didn't watch any of the extras, but I would have liked to see another Kevin Pollack impression.