Monday, June 05, 2006

Movies: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

I watched the movie Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence last night. I enjoyed the original movie quite a bit and also really liked the first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Unfortunately the second movie is much more like the second season of GitS: SAC, which I didn't like particularly well. Actually, I thought GitS2 was worse then the second season of Stand Alone Complex, which actually had some decent moments (particularly at the beginning of the season).

Ghost in the Shell 2 has many of the same characters from the previous movie, including Batou and Togusa, who I usually like. But the plot was convoluted and mainly involved the characters standing around philosophizing with each other. Discussing the differences between humans and robots when humans have the capability to become complete cyborgs has always been a part of the Ghost in the Shell movies/shows, but they took it to a whole new level in Innocence. And I was bored by it.

The animation was OK, but nothing spectacular. They slipped into CGI during a number of parts, which I am not necessarily a huge fan of. I prefer the more hand-drawn style, that you typically see in Production IG's work.

Basically I was disappointed, which is amazing since I knew full-well that the movie had never been in theaters and has generally been panned in reviews. But apparently I held out some secret hope that the movie would turn out better then everyone said, and I would enjoy it. Alas, I was wrong.

No comments: