Monday, July 31, 2006

Entertainment

When I was riding up and down the shore of Lake Superior a few weeks ago, I stopped in Knife River twice to turn around. In the parking lot of Emily's Diner was a small sign talking a bit about Knife River. It mostly focused on what the river was used for (fish spawning primarily), where the water for it came from (pretty much everywhere inland), etc.

But one section of the sign caught my eye:

If you can't make it out in the picture, the sign says:

Fish watching was a spectator sport in the 1970s

And proves it by showing nine hardy souls crouched on the edge of the river ostensibly watching the fish try to swim upstream.

I say 'ostensibly' because at least one has a fishing net on his back, and a number of the others are carrying fishing poles. I guess the plan would be to swipe those fish out of the calm upper section of the river after they spend a day expending all their energy trying to leap upstream. Nice.

Apparently the 1970s in Knife River were a dark time, if fish watching was considered a form of entertainment.

3 comments:

Dan Phillips said...

I bet they were doing the smelt runs. I guess it was popular back then. I found something about it here.
http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/mn/425smelt.htm

Linzy Eck said...

I remember when I was little and my dad, grandpa,Lonny and I would go to Knife River and go smelting. We did that for many years. We would go late at night and catch a ton of the little things. Although I never ate any as I thought that they were disgusting! There were wlaways a ton of people there with campfires, it was quite a site!

Linzy Eck said...

I remember when I was little and my dad, grandpa,Lonny and I would go to Knife River and go smelting. We did that for many years. We would go late at night and catch a ton of the little things. Although I never ate any as I thought that they were disgusting! There were wlaways a ton of people there with campfires, it was quite a site!