Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Movies: Manchurian Candidate

While in Duluth last week, I watched the remake of the Manchurian Candidate with my father and mother-in-law. Larry had seen the original, but it was a completely new movie for me and Sandy. Everyone seemed to enjoy the movie, me included.

One thing I liked was how convoluted the plot was. It bordered on nearly incomprehensible at times, but I enjoyed trying to follow along. For reference on just how confusing the movie was initially, Sandy skipped the first 30 minutes of so of the movie and really didn't miss a beat in terms of understanding things from there on out.

I thought both Denzel Washington and Liev Schreiber did a great job in their roles, as did Meryl Streep as Liev's overbearing Senator mother. In fact, Streep's mother character was definitely the creepiest character in a movie filled with fairly creepy characters. The tension between her and her grown-but-still-bossed-around son was really well done.

All-in-all I enjoyed the movie a bit more then I was expecting too. It was definitely worth seeing.

No comments: