Saturday, August 19, 2006

Blogger Beta

So I switched over to the new beta Blogger system this afternoon. Unfortunately, the two new features that I thought sounded good don't really work yet.

First, I wanted to be able to label my posts, so that I could group all the movie/book/video game/etc posts together. But right now that only works if you switch from using a template to using their layout editor. Which I'm frightened of trying to use on my customized CSS template.

Then I wanted to be able to provide feeds of the comments on the blog. But no matter what I do to try and enable that in the settings, I can't get it to give me the URL of the feed in the sidebar. I tried guessing the URL, but got some crazy "Attempted access to row that is not the transaction row curTxnRow" error. So as far as I can tell the feed is out there somewhere, but I can't tell you where it is.

Oh, and the spelling check is totally broken. Unless the checker comes up with the correct suggestion, there doesn't appear to be any way to fix a spelling mistake without exiting the spelling check and finding the error, and re-typing it. There's also no indication that there are no errors (if that is the case), you have to manually scroll through the post looking for red-highlighted words. The fact that the spelling check is busted is amazing, since it claims to be the same thing as what gmail uses, which has always worked well for me.

And on top of that, it turns out Blogger users not in the beta test can't use their accounts to post comments here anymore. Sorry about that.

Sigh. I guess that is why it is 'Beta'. At least the Edit Posts page finally maintains its formatting even if posts have divs with float alignments.

2 comments:

Godsgalnj said...

Hey! Just stopping by to say Hi! Your posts are funny...I would have read more if I had the time, but from what I read, you have a great sense of humor :) Stay blessed!

Steve Eck said...

Thanks!