Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Camera Repair

I completely forgot to mention, but after all was said and done, we did end up getting our camera back and repaired. At least as far as I can tell.

After my last post on the issue, about how Sony and/or Precision Camera Repair managed to screw up their half of the repair payment, I got another call from the repair shop claiming I was going to owe them more money. After explaining three times that this had all been cleared all this up the previous day, the lady eventually agreed and said the camera would start the repair process soon.

That turned out to be true, and a day or two later the website status was updated and the camera moved into 'in repair' status. A day or two after that, it was shipped out and began making the (apparently) long trek back to us. We eventually got it back on the 19th, so the whole process took about a month from start to finish.

Unfortunately, since we've gotten the camera back we haven't had many of the really brilliantly blue skies that seemed to reproduce the problem regularly. So I can't be 100% positive that the problem is resolved. But so far I haven't noticed the smudges on any of the pictures that I've taken.

It ended up costing $104 to get the camera fixed, including the shipping cost. That's expensive, but certainly less then we could have gotten a new comparable camera for. So hopefully the problem is fixed and will stay fixed. I'll be very disappointed if after all the effort the problem reoccurs in a couple months. But for now, I am happy with it.

Before:


After:


2 comments:

Brenden Johnson said...

Gotta love Sony these days.

I'm guessing they're using exorbitant camera repair charges to subsidize the future troubles with no one wanting to buy exorbitantly priced PS3s, Blu-Ray players, and Blu-Ray discs.

Steve Eck said...

I think you can add Memory Sticks to the list of exorbitantly priced items, since they are like 2x the price of comparable flash memory chips.