Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Death by Falling Rocks

Last night I had enough free time to play a bit of the next video game I am trying after finishing Kingdom Hearts. I am playing Return of the King on XBox. The game is kind of fun although frustratingly difficult for the most part.

I've managed to make it through a level where you play as Aragorn, Gimli or Legolas through the Paths of the Dead to recruit the army of ghosts needed for the battle later in the movie. After that, you have a boss fight against the dead king's ghost (which doesn't seem to be in any of the versions of the movie I own).

Once you defeat him, the cavern starts to collapse and you have to backtrack through the level to escape fighting through a few of the massed ghosts trying to stop you from escaping. The presentation is cool, with the whole cavern rumbling and shaking, and rocks falling from the ceiling to smash around you.

Sound fun, right?

I thought so too, until the first time one of those falling rocks hit my character in the head and I died instantly.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. But then it happened again on my many retries of the level. And then as the final insult, after fighting my way through the last of three areas with swarms of enemies, right as I was about to step out the exit to the cave, Aragorn got hit in the head by a rock and died.

That's not fun. Realistic? Yes. Fun? No.

And I happen to discount the importance of realism in a game that whose main characters are hobbits, wizards, elves and dwarves. Especially in a level that is all about fighting ghosts.

Falling rocks crashing all around are cool, but allowing them to hit and kill the character, when you can't even see the rocks coming due to the lame fixed angle camera, is just stupid.

No Twinkie for You, Bret Robbins

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Let me know if/when you want to borrow KH2, no need to buy it. :-)

Steve Eck said...

I'll definitely take you up on that offer!