Monday, August 07, 2006

Movies: Bubba Ho-Tep

This weekend Linzy and I watched Bubba Ho-Tep.

I enjoy Bruce Campbell in Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, and I had heard good things about Bubba Ho-Tep, so I was expecting to like the movie. And I did think it was OK, but just not as good as I was hoping it would be.

The plot is ridiculous, as you would expect from a movie featuring Elvis, JFK, and a mummy as the lead characters. But the movie did have some pretty funny moments however, and that more-or-less made up for the low-budget and cheesy mummy and skeletal plot.

I thought Bruce Campbell was terrific as an old, bedridden Elvis. The flashback scenes were good as well, but I thought he was best as the self-absorbed, depressed Elvis basically trapped through old age and circumstances at the nursing home.

I think the root of my disappointment with the movie had to do with expectations (just like always). I was expecting a funnier movie, along say Army of Darkness lines and although the movie was funny, it was also a little darker and pensive.

Regardless, I liked the movie, just not as much as I was hoping I would.

No comments: