Thursday, August 03, 2006

Movies: Underworld: Evolution & Syriana

As things worked out, the first new DVD Linzy and I ended up watching on the new TV several weekends ago was Underworld: Evolution. While the movie wasn't particularly good, I did think it was a pretty decent test for the TV. The movie is dark, so provided a nice opportunity to check out the black levels on the TV.

As far as the movie itself, it was very similar to Underworld, which shouldn't be too surprising. I didn't think it was noticably better or worse then the original, it featured a couple new locales and a few new tricks for the various characters but for the most part was more of the same. I was fairly indifferent to Underworld, and so have pretty much the same feelings for Underworld: Evolution.

More recently, I sat down to watch Syriana. I enjoyed it a lot more then Underworld: Evolution, and thought it was interesting and well acted. I didn't find it confusing at all (the most common complaint I've heard about it). I thought the story was engaging, well-paced, and put together in a way that you were just waiting to see how everything tied together. I'm something of a fan of spy movies, so perhaps that makes my opinion biased, but I thought Syriana was a good film.

No comments: