Wednesday, August 30, 2006

New Job

Today, after a three-month long process, a major change became official: I'm switching to a new job at a new company.

I've been looking off and on for a new job for longer then three months, but I only got somewhat more serious about the search at the beginning of summer. And even then, I was just applying for the occasional job that caught my eye as opposed to an all-out 'get me out of here' search.

Still, after a number of less-then-impressive offers for various jobs, I finally found one that looks like a good fit for me. It is still working as an Oracle DBA, but I'll be supporting an engineering group developing an application on the databases. So hopefully the environment will be a little more manageable then the people-destroying stress-factory I currently work in.

I've been working on getting everything locked down for weeks, but it was only today that everything was finally lined up for me to submit my resignation notice to the current job. My last day there will be on the 22nd of September, and then on the 25th I'll start at the new job.

My biggest concern with the new job is with the commute, which requires me to travel to downtown every day, a daily 40-minute bus ride one-way. That will raise some serious challenges. I'm also a little concerned at what the on-call will be like at the new job, but I am pretty sure whatever it is it can't be any worse then the 'like you are in jail at home' on-call I currently have once every 6-7 weeks. I'm also sad to leave all my friends that I've worked with for the past 6.5 years. I'll especially miss going for a walk with the guys during lunch in the summers.

But on the other hand I am definitely looking forward to the change. I'm certainly not sad to leave the messy politically driven re-org that my division is going through right now. I'm excited to work with a new group of people who seemed enthusiastic and really nice throughout the interview process. I'm also looking forward to working in a new environment, with different challenges and more growth opportunities.

I think the change will be good for me, so the 25th can't come soon enough.

[ As a side note: As has been the case since day 1 on this blog, the company I work for (and the one I am going to work for) will not be named here or in the comments. If you want to know specifics just e-mail me and I will tell you whatever details you'd like to know. ]

3 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

Congrats on the new job! I wish you the best.

Kim takes the bus to work daily. She *much* prefers that over driving (especially in the winter). The opportunity to sleep, read, or listen to music is much better than dealing with gridlock on ice covered roads.

Her not having to drive has saved us the need for two cars, more insurance, and gas money. It's a *huge* benefit IMHO.

If I could find a job that I could take the bus to, I would, believe me :)

Again, congrats.

McBrideFarm said...

Huzzah! Congratulations! This is definitely a positive change. I am happy for you. :)

Steve Eck said...

Bill and Sarah, Thanks for the congratulations!