Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Brainerd Vacation: Saturday

After the late night on Friday, Linzy and I got up around 9 to start making breakfast for everyone. Unsurprisingly, quite a few people weren't exactly jumping out of bed.

We had planned on making pancakes, fresh fruit and bacon for breakfast. The first problem turned out to be the terrible selection of pans in the cabin that made pancake-making pretty much impossible. After a call to the office to get a slightly less abused pan, and the liberal use of oil Linzy was able to produce some good pancakes.

I was put in charge of making the bacon. I'm not sure that I've ever made real bacon (normally we get the pre-cooked microwave kind if any at all).


Frying bacon turned out to be about as easy a task as can be, and I started working my way through the piles of bacon. Three pounds of bacon to be exact. And let me tell you, cooking 3 pounds of bacon 6 half-strips at a time in a tiny pan takes a long time. A really long time.

I spent the next 90 minutes of my life cooking bacon. People drifted in and out, some eating, some making themselves something else to eat, and others just hanging out looking ill. At one point I thought we were going to have way too much food (particularly the bacon) and then the next minute we were nearly out of everything.



That's Gerard in his makeshift bed of two chairs pushed together. We had nicknamed it the crib the previous night. After trying it out for a night he said it felt more like a coffin, because there wasn't enough room to move. The 'coffin' nickname stuck.

After breakfast, Felicia and Anita wanted to go back to Pirate's Cove since we had been talking it up and they hadn't been able to go with the previous night. So Linzy, Mike, Wes, Gerard and I went with them for a second round of mini-golf.

Mike, Felicia and Anita playing mini-golf.


The course was just as much fun the second time around, even though we ended up playing the same 18 holes we had played the day before. The place was absolutely packed, as a huge group of kids from a local reservation were there on a group outing.

Gerard, laughing off his gentleman's 8 and giving me a subtle sign that in reality maybe he doesn't appreciate me documenting the moment.


Midway through the round, the second casualty of the weekend occurred, when I dropped our camera (Yes; The one I just paid to get fixed). I had been taking a picture of someone golfing, and then was trying to get out of the way, bumped into someone and dropped the camera. With the lens extended. On the lens.

Likely the last picture ever taken with our camera.


At first I thought everything was OK, as the camera was still on and seemed to take the picture fine. But afterwards I realized I couldn't get the lens to go back into the camera because the top half was bent at an angle relative to the other half. After jiggling and pushing on it for a bit (that's a well-known camera repair technique) I was able to get the lens straightened, but it still wouldn't retract.

After mini-golf Mike, Linzy and I did the go-carts again. This time I managed to pass Mike and retain the lead even through near-accidents. In fact, this time I passed Mike during a near spin-out by a cart we were lapping and then barely avoided t-bone-ing the same cart the next lap when he spun out in exactly the same spot. Unfortunately, Linzy's cart was acting up and stalled twice during the race. It ended up dying on the last lap, which was kind of disappointing.

After go-karts Linzy and I grabbed lunch, and ran some errands in town. Then we got a quick nap in before having to start making dinner. This time we made tacos, and had a mini-crisis when the oven decided not to work on anything but broil and subsequently burned the crap out of the first batch of taco shells. Luckily we had plenty of extras and lots of people weren't hungry anyway since they had just eaten at the Bonanza buffet a few hours earlier. We still managed to go through a disturbing amount of taco meat, however.

After dinner, a bunch of us played 8-player Mario Party, which turned out to be a lot of fun. There were some neat mini-games where you really had to work together to be successful. The best moment of the game (for all but two of us, at least) was when the team of Dan and Shawn (second place at the time) wanted to challenge Anita and I (first place at the time) in a mini-game where you can steal the other people's coins.

Shawn turned to us and said "What team are you?". Without missing a beat, looking at each other, or anything, Anita and I responded simultaneously "Team Mollusk". Except that was actually Gerard and Mike's team. So Shawn and Dan ended up challenging the wrong team, and to add insult to injury, lost the challenge so ended up losing coins in the deal. Some people were pretty bitter, but I won't name any names.

Unfortunately over the course of the game, we started losing people to bed. Unsurprisingly I guess, based on the blow-out on Friday night, lots of people were pretty tired. Eventually, it ended up to be just Mike, Gerard, Shawn and I playing games (4-person Pac-Man and a little Mario Kart).

After some embaressingly poor Mario Kart racing, it was time to try another dip in the lake for some people. And by some people I mean everyone left but me. To add a little excitement, the lawn sprinkler system was on so we had to run through the area dodging rotating water jets. Rumor has it that one person wore their underwear on their head while jumping off the dock, but I won't confirm that.

Shawn and Gerard after their dip in the lake (picture taken by me, but with Shawn's camera).


After the lake adventure, I gave in and went to bed and left the other guys to play some more video games. Sunday was spent cleaning the place up, packing everything for the trip, and then heading home. Unless you were Felicia or Anita, in which case you got in another 36-holes of mini-golf at Pirate's Cove on the way home. (I'm telling you, it was a good course).

All-in-all the week in Brainerd was an absolute blast. The only bad part was that it seemed to go by so quick. But then all good vacations are like that.

6 comments:

McBrideFarm said...

:( I'm sad for you that it's over. It sounds like it was a really nice weekend.

Brenden said...

Sucks about your camera! What horrible luck.

Steve Eck said...

Sarah, it was very fun!

Brenden, that's why I'm not allowed to own nice things. :)

Bill Roehl said...

Steve, that exact thing happened to my camera except it was in my pocket and turned on forcing the lens to extend into my leg, bending it.

Back to my Kodak 5MP until I decide it's worth upgrading.

Steve Eck said...

Bill, I'd be happy with a small 5M camera at this point, we didn't need the 7M of the original camera anyway. But I liked the small size of the camera (for easy dropping, apparently) and it's quick startup and no-shutter lag.

Unfortunately the camera is discontinued, so I'll have to find a different model that is similar.

Bill Roehl said...

Steve, unfortunately this Kodak isn't small. The 7MP *was* tiny and had a much larger LCD.