Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Extra-Productive

In general, I like being productive.

That probably doesn't really come as much of a surprise to anyone who has been around me for any length of time, or watched me pack my free time with activity after activity.

But I noted it this weekend, when I was busy working on cleaning the house. As I was working on the task, I was thinking about what my least favorite thing was and concluded that it was probably dusting. Both because it is tedious and almost immediately rendered ineffective once the dust resettles, but also because I'm horribly allergic to dust mites and so stirring them up makes me sick after a while.

Anyway, thinking about what I liked least naturally led to trying to come up with what I liked best. Now, there wasn't really much to choose from, other then the obvious 'seeing the house nicely clean afterwards'. But upon thinking about it, I concluded that there is actually something I like better then that:

The time after I've cleaned all the bathrooms and mopped all the floors, and I have nothing to do but wait for everything to dry so I can do the vacuuming and be done.

You see, for those 30-45 minutes I can freely sit around and do whatever I want, but yet I am still accomplishing something. So I can feel productive, but at the same time be slacking off doing any number of unproductive things. Plus, at that point all the hard work is done, so I know the task is virtually complete.

I thought it was an interesting observation.

In self-defense, I should also point out that this isn't to say that I have some hyper-activity disorder and am constantly twitching and trying to do a million things at once. Once I've gotten my self-assigned tasks completed, I'm fairly good at sitting around accomplishing nothing of importance. But I do like to get those tasks out of the way first.

3 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

But if you weren't into keeping yourself occupied this blog wouldn't exist and *I* wouldn't have anything to do to keep myself occupied!

So thanks, you're rubbing off on the entire South Metro blogosphere!

Brenden said...

If only I was as productive as you Steve. And I certainly can't use "blogging" as an excuse.

Steve Eck said...

Thanks guys!