Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Unprepared

On my way to Brian's house after work, I stopped at a nearby gas station to pick up a Clif bar. Since we were going biking right after work, and were planning to go at least 20 miles I was afraid I would be too hungry by the end of the ride to put forth a good effort.

Anyway, while I waited in line with my overpriced combination of sugar, fat and protein, there was a bit of a commotion going on at the front of the line. There was a lady at the front of the line who had apparently run out of gas. She had a gas canister she wanted to fill up, but couldn't seem to come up with anyway to pay for the gas.

The conversation went something like this:

Clerk: Well you have to pre-pay or pay at the pump before you can fill this up.

Lady: Do you take checks?

Clerk: Local ones, yeah.

Lady; How about out of state checks?

Clerk: No

Lady: But I don't have any cash.

Clerk: Hmmm. How about a credit card?

Lady: No, I don't have my wallet with.

Clerk: Hmmm. [Taking pity on her] Well at least let me see your license.

Lady: I don't have that with me either.


Honestly, I'm not sure that there was any way she could have been less prepared to buy gas. Granted she had checks on her, but without a license and with them being out of state, they are going to be a bit hard to use.

At this point, another register opened up, so I paid for my bar and left. So I don't know if she ever managed to wrangle up some gas at that station. I kind of doubt it.

3 comments:

Bill Roehl said...

Last year (10/11/05) I was archiving one of my geocaches in Burnsville's Cam Ram park (over near Murphy Hanrehan) and was just about to get into the car when a guy came coasting into the parking lot.

I had seen this guy before, he works at Burnsville Center and wears *a lot* of gaudy stuff -- especially rings.

Anyway, he peels off a $5 and hands it to me. Asks me if I could get him some gas -- he just ran out.

Yeah, I can do that. I pile the dog into the car and head up to the SuperAmerica on the corner of 42 and CR-5.

I walk inside and tell them that I need to get gas for a stranger that ran out down the road. I am informed that I would have to buy a container, fill it up, and that they don't supply the containers free.

I'm doing this as a favor and with $5 in my pocket. I did have other forms of money on me and ended up having to pay $21 for the gas + container.

I handed the container to the guy and his $5 and told him it was on me. My good deed for the day.

I just couldn't believe that the gas station would be *that* inconsiderate :(

Steve Eck said...

Why didn't he come with to get the gas? That's kind of strange.

I have to admit, I don't think I would have bought the container and gas for him. I try to be nice, but I don't know if I could be quite that nice.

Impressive deed!

Dan Phillips said...

Good deed indeed. :P That is very nice of you. Gas stations do not provide a container. I suppose they figure what better way to over charge you for an empty gas can, your desperate. I do infact keep a little one gallon plastic gas can in my car. My luck I would run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with an empty container.