Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I'm Sorry, We Can't be Friends Anymore

On Sunday, when we were at Dylan's first birthday party I noticed something interesting about the presents Dylan was receiving.

A significant portion of them were the kinds that make noise. Usually loud, repetitive sounds, or at least sounds/music/sayings that are tolerable the first 50 times but make you want to pull your hair out after that. In short, the kind of toys one-year old kids love and their parents curse.

When Linzy and I were talking about what sorts of things to get, I had said that it couldn't be any thing that played obnoxious music because "Those are the types of gifts that result in people not being your friends anymore".

As in, every time Tickle Me Elmo screams "Do it again!" the parent thinks "Why am I friends with Steve and Linzy again? They bought this stupid toy.". Or at a minimum leaves you open for obnoxious-toy payback in the future.

It was funny to see that all of the grandparents weren't afraid to leverage their immunity and gave almost exclusively noisy toys.

3 comments:

Olie said...

My parents did that with my neice one year when she was about 3 or 4. They gave her a kids insturment pack. There were about 4 or 5 different insturments a small child would never be able to make sound good.

Linzy Eck said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that's good! I wonder if they sell tose anymore!!

Bill Roehl said...

I received a fireman's had (with flashing red light *and* siren) as well as a army helmet that included a microphone/megaphone for barking orders.

My Uncle owned my parents with those gifts ;)