Thursday, October 05, 2006

Money in the Mail

I don't know about you, but I don't hardly ever get anything good in the mail. Occasionally I'll get a magazine, or maybe a thank you card, but the vast majority of the mail I do get is either junk mail or bills. And most of that are bills, because at least half the junk mail comes for Linzy. That is, until this week.

This week was a glorious week as far as mail goes, since I got not one, but two checks in the mail. In a strange coincidence of timing, I got my vacation check from my old job on Monday and a check for my first week of work at the new job on Tuesday.

I can't even remember the last time I got a real check for any substantial amount in the mail for a job. It's been a long time, that's for sure.

At least, I thought I had gotten two live checks until Linzy tried to go deposit the vacation check. It turned out to be a rather elaborate notice of deposit that for some reason came on a real-looking check complete with watermark and a nice perforation for easy removal from the packaging. But the other check was indeed live.

Unfortunately, that will likely be the last real check I get for a long time, so it will be back to a steady stream of bills and advertisements for roofing companies doing hail damage inspections.

2 comments:

Pete said...

And the former employer stuck it to you one more time by making you think you had gotten a real check.

Steve Eck said...

Actually, the real way they stuck it to me was by witholding taxes at twice the normal rate on the check.

I'll get the money back eventually, but not for quite a while.