Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Optimism

The other day I was idly surfing the web and happened to go to George R.R. Martin's website to see if he had any update on the next book in his series. You see, back in June the claim was that he was expecting to have the book done by fall 2006. Being well into fall 2006, I figured I would see what the new update said.

Unsurprisingly it said that the book was likely delayed and he was hoping to have it done by the end of the year. That in and of itself wasn't all that surprising, but what was surprising was his excuses for why the book wasn't done. Basically it sounds like he spent the entire summer visiting conventions, award shows, and generally flying all over the country.

Now, I have no issue with the man promoting his work, or attending the award shows his work garners him invitations to. But, knowing that you are going to spend two full months of summer on the road, why would you still assume you are going to finish the book by fall?

I'm as bad an estimator as the next programmer, but even I would can look at that and think "Gee, maybe I'm not going to be able to get much writing done when I'm sleeping in a different hotel room each night".

I mean, it's only been a year since the last book. The gap between that book and the previous one was 5 years. I think we can deal with being told the next one is going to take 18 months. Excuses aren't necessary....yet.

No comments: