Thursday, November 09, 2006

Comments

Dan asked an interesting question (to me at least) in the comments of the Guitar Hero 2 post from a few days ago. He asked:

BTW. Whats the record for most comments for a post? There are 8 now and after Steve's reply we'll have nine.

I had no idea, and since I didn't have anything specific planned for tonight I decided to find out.

As it turns out, the record here for comments on a single story is now 9. Previously the record was 8, on my post about DVD prices from 7/2005 (which also generated 4 comments for the follow-up post).

There are also nine posts that garnered 7 comments:

All told, there have been 1355 comments on 505 different posts over the past 2.5 years. That's an average of 2.68 comments per post that has comments, and 1.2 comments per post on the blog. The most comments in a month is 36, in August 2005.

I would assume a third to half of those comments are my replies, but that is still a lot more comments then I was expecting when I started grepping out the numbers. I was also surprised at the variety of stories that got a lot (relatively speaking) of comments. A fairly well rounded representation of the kinds of things I post here.

Anyway, that's enough navel gazing and statistic calculating for one post. Thanks to everyone who comments!

15 comments:

Pizza Cutter said...

Well, here's a comment: Congrats, you are my official "random next blog" of the day. Every day, I hit the magic button and link what comes up. Guess the blogspot gods liked you today. Or didn't. Not sure which. Anyway...

Brian said...

I would post more comments but I can never get that damn word verification thing right!

Bill Roehl said...

I think Steve is just trying to bolster his comments per post with this one ;)

Brian said...

Yeah, I totally agree :)

Steve Eck said...

Actually, the real motivation was that I wasted so much time figuring the comment counts out, that I didn't want to spend even more time coming up with something totally unrelated to post about.

That would have cut into Guitar Hero time. :)

Groovy said...

LOL it's turning into a forum ;)

Dan Phillips said...

Nikki brings up a good point. I think Steve should start a forum. That would be good fun. It only makes sense.

Kelli Olson said...

I would have to agree as well. If anyone could have a good, frequently used forum, it'd be Steve!

Brian said...

Excellent idea! And can I have a pony?

Scooter said...

Don't you need one more comment to beat your most comments ever now that you have nine?

Steve Eck said...

I don't think the comment total for this post really counts since the post comes off as basically soliciting for more comments.

Brian said...

Damn, so you mean I wasted my time and comments for nothing!!!

Bill Roehl said...

I really want to setup thesteveeckfanclub.org and host a forum where we can all talk about how great Steve is, his recent GH2 successes, and how awesome Lakeville is ;)

Steve Eck said...

Brian, How can you call this a waste of time, just look at the quality discussion. :)

Bill, That'd be a really long thread, make sure you buy a big server. :)

newplanet said...

Well done, you've successfully broken your comment record (and mine!) Does this mean I can officially call you a comments whore? LOL.